Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 14:51:24 -0800
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.361

henrik@echelon.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) writes:

> But psychological pressure is different - when someone says "If you really
> loved me you'd sleep with me" or "It's only because you're frigid that
> you won't sleep with me" or "Only immoral people would want to listen to
> that music" the attacker crawls under the skin - causing you to doubt
> yourself.  It takes a much stronger defense to battle these sorts of
> attacks effectively, and because the constraints of physical force are
> removed, the attacker can sustain himself/herself for much longer periods
> of time.

I'm not sure who you were answering here.  Was it Ben Haller?
At any rate, I believe that in the psychological realm, the
removal of physical constraints work equally as well for the
attackee (?).  The so-called victim can also sustain
him/herself for a longer period.  Especially in a
psychological battle, where there is no physical danger or
oppression, the victim is only a victim if they allow
themselves to be.

> There are a lot of people who would object to "physical force" - the
> government coming in with machine guns and blockading record stores.  But
> most people wouldn't think twice about "psychological force" - using
> political and religious influence to create an environment where record
> stores feel compelled to drop certain items that people find offensive.

I think alot of those people who would _not_ object to psycho
force would not be above blockading a record store, with or
without machine guns.  Reference the abortion opponents
tactics.

At any rate, the factors which "compel" a record store to drop
certain albums are pretty murky.  Some buckle to pressure from
a minority group, others won't.
My local video store, before it was eaten up by
Blockhead-buster, put outa notebook on the counter, asking
people to write whether or not they thought the store should
carry The Last Temptation of Christ.  Apparently, free speech
won, as they ended up carrying it.  Hmmm, I wonder if
Blockheadbuster has it....   At any rate, it seems the
reactionaries are just so much more vocal.

> This is where your other argument falls apart - you claim that it's not
> censorship for record stores to not carry artists' music when there is
> not a demand for it to justify its existance on the shelves.  That is true.
> How little demand was there for 2 Live Crew's album?  For other "stickered"
> artists like Guns 'n Roses?

Well, I know that here in this highly sophisticated
cosmopolitan , internationally visited city of Orlando,
Camelot and Peaches did NOT carry the nasty version of 2Live
Crew.  Camelot did carry a PG version.  However, I am glad to
note, a number of smaller local chains and independents _did_
carry it, and the moral structure of the community did not
completely unravel.

>From a coupla snippets I heard, 2 Live Crew was shit.  But I
don't think they violated any obscenity laws, and nobody was
_forced_ to buy their album.  Though I suspect that being
forced to listen to them would constitute psychological ear
abuse of the worst kind.

Florida has the misfortune of having a reactionary,
narrow-minded zealot for a state attorney, that John Tanner
guy you _may_ have heard of during that 2Live thaing.
Although I believe a woman representing the ACLU asked him
something at a news conference (drat, can't remember what)
that prompted Mr. HolierThanThou Tanner to shoot her a bird.
Made my day when I saw the photo in the paper.

Haven't heard much from him lately....

Cynthia

"I have sinned against you.... AGAIN"  - What I imagine
Swaggert might have said to his congregation after the last
doggy looking hooker he picked up. [sniff, sob]

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)

----