Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ba-Bush-Ka

From: caen!bsbbs!cynthia@harvard.harvard.edu (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 14:56:42 -0800
Subject: Ba-Bush-Ka
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

stev0@sti.COM (Steve Berlin) writes:

> Y'know, something has always bothered me... "Babooshka" has always been one of
> my favorite KaTe Songs, yet I always wince at the line "Just like his wife
> before she freezed on him".  Ignoring the possible sexist connotations of this
> line, what bugs me is why didn't she use the correct word, "Froze"?  It does
> nothing to the timing of the song; also, I doubt if she picked "freezed" because
> it "sounded" better phoentically (Kate is NOT the Cocteau Twins, no insult intended to either KT or CT).  Freezed?  Come ON now!  I know grammer has never

Hmmm, I kinda wondered that myself.  I figured possibly cause
"freezed" sounds brrr! colder than "froze".  And maybe an
English Love-Hound could answer... do the British tend to do
that in past tense usages?  Like "creeped up on him" instead
of "crept up" for example?  Or "swimmed" instead of "swam"?
Could that be possible?

----
Cynthia Rosas <cynthia@bsbbs.UUCP> <{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia>
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)