Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Medkeff Unmasked!!!

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 13:58:47 -0800
Subject: Medkeff Unmasked!!!
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn BARGER)

...or, Ohioans Bite the Dust!

[Precis so far: Jeff Medkeff of AATHP/Little Light fame claimed some months
ago to have an exclusive inside contact at Sony, and special privileges
regarding advance notice of Kate's plans.  He threw a Convention that was
only announced to us a couple of weeks before it took place, and boasted in
print that he read congratulatory messages there from everyone from
Kate to the Trio to PG to Dave G, etc etc etc.   Based on a very vague
report of the text of Kate's message, Chris and Vickie seemed to have
gone way too far out on the limb by publicly expressing skepticism that
the message was real, suggesting it may have been spliced together from
the Canadian Con's similar tape.  Certain flaming Ohioans leapt to Jeff's
defense, and shillelagh law was all the rage (as the song says).  Jeff
produced a message that corresponded in almost every detail to the
Canadian message.  Jeff broadcast a report that Sony was threatening
Kate with penalties for missing a promised delivery date.  All were
incredulous...]

Little Light, Fall 1991

"THE FOLLOWING IS AN OPEN LETTER FROM THE COUNCIL OF THE AMERICAN
ASSOCIATION OF THEM HEAVY PEOPLE TO OUR READERS AND ALL THOSE INTERESTED:

To all concerned,
   It should be apparent at this time that Jeff Medkeff is no longer
Editor of Little Light, nor does he hold the position of President of
AATHP.  On September 16, 1991, it was brought to our attention that
Jeff Medkeff reportedly printed an interview with Marilyn Gardner of
Sony Music which was fabricated.
    While this interview only reached a few of our readers, as we did
not run the interview in our second printing, we still feel that any
false impressions that may have been caused by the interview should be
corrected.  The interview should be, in no way, [sic] regarded as the
actual opinions of Ms. Gardner.  Her opinions are unknown to the staff
of this newsletter.  We also invite Ms. Gardner to respond in the next
issue of Little Light.
    Because of the interview and other ethical questions, we attempted
to remove Mr. Medkeff with a vote of "no confidence."  However, because
there are no allowances for such an act under the bylaws, on September
26, we respectively tendered our resignations from the AATHP council as
a surrogate form of casting our "no confidence" votes.  Mr. Medkeff
recognized this as such and offered his resignation, allowing us to
continue with AATHP functions and the production of Little Light.
    We have decided to do so and promise our readers the honesty that
should be expected from any publication. We also apologize to Ms. Gardner
and Sony Music for any false impression that may have resulted from the
allegedly fabricated interview.  We feel that any violation of AATHP
rules, Little Light editorial policies and in particular journalistic
ethics is intolerable.  We hope our actions on the matter will justify
everyone's respect for our newsletter and that we never have to question
another staff member's ethics again.
Sincerely, William Barwick- President, Jeffrey Tucker, Vice-President,
Jennifer Heller- Publication Secretary