Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Alan Stivell

From: "Dan Riley" <dsr@lns598.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1991 09:22:13 -0800
Subject: Alan Stivell
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Here's what Kate has to say on Alan Stivell, from the first
Paul Gambaccini radio programme, December 30, 1980 (extracted
from The Garden, part 7).  Alan was one of the artists KaTe
chose to play on the show:

     "Well, this is a really beautiful track, and Alan Stivell, um,
he's a, a Breton, and from the age of four, as far as we know, he was
a, a master harpist, playing the Celtic harp. Um, his father was a
master at it, and that's obviously why he learnt so young. Um, as he
got older he decided that all the kids in Breton were getting into
contemporary music, and didn't realise what beautiful traditional music
they had in their own country. So what he wanted to do was present the
traditional music in a form that they would love and understand because
he felt that it was being forgotten. And it really is beautiful.
And it's nice because not only is it the traditional music but he's
mixing it with rock. and, uh, as far as I'm concerned this track is a
tear-jerker, it's so beautiful."

-dan