Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming & Backmasking

From: scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1991 05:35:11 -0800
Subject: Re: The Dreaming & Backmasking
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <ogorman.689623982@unix1.tcd.ie> ogorman@unix1.tcd.ie
(Lucifuge) writes:

>Anyway I've just bought "The Dreaming" (and think it's great...ok
>great's an understatement how about divine?) Something puzzles me
>however. At the end of "Leave it Open" there seems to be a backmasked
>message. Am I right and if so what is being said? I assume that she is

The chant at the end of "Leave it open" is indeed backmasked, but she
sang it backwards, so if you listen to it and forget it's backmasked you
hear her saying "We let the wierdness in" (or, according to "Kate Bush
Complete", "We let the wierd nobs in" 8^).

A few weeks ago, me and a friend of mine who has an Emax sampling
keyboard (and a few KaTe CDs) tried sampling some of her backmasks and playing
them backwards - we tried "Leave it Open" and "Watching You Without Me".

The "We let the wierdness in" does (as has been reported before) sound
like "They said they were very ill" backwards, although the "ill" is a
bit peculiar.

The "Zoh-nikh-noh, zoh-nikh no nee..." bit from WYWM doesn't seem to
make any more sense backwards either, which is most puzzling.

The "Weeee seeee..." bits in WYWM sound much the same backwards as forwards.

The chopped-up "Help me baby" etc. bit has the same words (or something
similar) backmasked between the forward-recorded bits, so it sounds
pretty much identical both ways.

We didn't have a lot of time to play about with the samples, but maybe
some other time, Ill do a more indepth analysis....

--
Scott Telford (s.telford@ed.ac.uk)
(Posting from here again, because the original article got expired at