Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: USSR

From: ylikreko@tne09.tele.nokia.fi
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1991 06:20:36 -0800
Subject: Re: USSR
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@noknic.nokia.fi (USENET at noknic)

In article <AAe524fSlO@kiae.su>, alex@kiae.su (Rudnew A.P.) writes:

> In article  <9110260649.AA03779@samba.acs.unc.edu>
> 	ylikreko@tne09.tele.nokia.fi, writes :
>
> -> In article <9110260649.AA03779@samba.acs.unc.edu> , Ken.Saintjohn@samba.acs.unc.EDU writes:
> -> >
> -> >   Well fellow KaTe fans just thought I would let ya all know that there is
> -> >   now at least one KaTe Bush album in the Soviet Union! :-) I sent Serg
> -> >   an extra copy of "The Kick Inside" about 6 weeks ago, it sure took it's
> -> >   time but eventually made it past the KGB :-) What follows is part of a
> -> >   letter from Serge....
> ->
> -> A year a ago I found a Bulgarian pressing of Never for Ever from a local
> -> shop. I'm pretty sure it was imported from Russia. Same shop also had
> -> Peter Gabriel's So released under Russian Melodika label.
>
> 	In the first: The Russian state album record venture named "Melodiya".

Thanks Serge for correcting me on this. I don't know these Cyrillic alfabets.

> 	And in the second: You may be absolutely sured that this company
> 	never record any albums with full concerts of Kate Bush or Peter
> 	Gabriel.

You may be correct when it comes to Kate Bush. But Peter Gabriel is a
different story. I know this because I own a russian copy of "So". This
album also features Kate Bush in song "Don't Give Up". Everything on
the cover is written in Cyrillic except "Manufactured under licence of
Virgin Records, UK". Even the price, 4 rubles, is printed on the cover.

> -> So there has been at least some exposure to Kate Bush in Soviet Union before.
>
> 	Veeery funny! From where you have got such information?
> 	All albums and CDs in the USSR come from the abroad.
> 	Be sure!

Most important source of my information is this group, where I've been
lurking since 1988.

Perttu Yli-Krekola              ylikreko@tnclus.tele.nokia.fi
Tampere, Finland                py64725@cc.tut.fi