Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Virginia Astley

From: shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au (Shaun Hayes)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 17:39:50 -0800
Subject: Re: Virginia Astley
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in To: address found on wiretap.Spies.COM:To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.oz.au@munnari.OZ.AU ^-missing end of address
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <20823@scorn.sco.COM> Dances With Voles <fscott!jondr@uunet.uu.net> writes:
 >If I were am995@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Buffalohead), I might have said:
 >>In the constant search for anything remotely similar in style or
 >>quality as Kate, a man (whom I've never seen again) suggested
 >>Virginia Astley.  Anyone ever heard of her?
 >
 >Yeah, I had an album by her called Hope In A Darkened Heart or something
 >like that.  I wanted to hear it because there was apparently some Ryuichi
 >Sakamoto involvement.  Unfortunately, I absolutely loathed it.  Sickeningly
 >sweet.  Like drinking sugar water or something for 45 minutes.

 Well gollee Jon, I'm most surprised!  That's the purest charm of little
 Virginia!  I had the same reaction, until I started to really listen, and
 heard the beatiful line "your tongue like a worm from your head to my
 brain" (or something similar), and really started to listen.  She has
 the most evil, spiteful little lyrics, saying all these vile and nasty
 things about people, sung in a little-girl voice with "Christmas music"
 (as I've come to describe it) tinkling merrily in the background.  I
 found myself drawn to the subservise nature of her word after that (although
 I have to admit that I can only take it for just so long nonetheless).

--
|----- "You who mix the words of torture, suicide and death with scotch and   |
|\ = /   soda at the bar.  We're all real decent people, aren't we?  But      |