Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The KaTe Tribute Album

From: lazlo%triton.unm.edu@lynx.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 15:00:30 -0800
Subject: Re: The KaTe Tribute Album
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I never would have thought it would find its way to New Mexico at all,
let alone so quickly, but the UK CD5 for Prince's cover of "Leave It
Open" was in the bins at Page One last night . . . so I grabbed it.
It's everything that I imagined it'd be -- and more!  (See below.)
If you haven't seen it yet, here's the discographic info:

Prince and the New Power Generation: Leave It Open                  [Oct 1991]

   CD5:	1991 UK (EMI Records CDKTG 2)
	  6:25	Leave It Open (extended power 2 harm mix)
	  3:20	Leave It Open (power 2 radio edit)
	  4:30	Leave It Open (william orbit sampledelic funkstrumental)
	  5:42	The KLF: Jig of Life (live at the isle of jura)

Even if not for the insanely hot Prince track on the A-side I would have
snagged this one for the not-on-the-album KLF track on the B -- nobody
mentioned *this* before!  I live and die for The KLF and I know that a lot
of Katefans are gonna be offended by how they reworked the piece into yet
another fake-live-Stadium-house mix but dammit, it really *works*.  Bill
Drummond's vocal carries the lyrics really well . . . I don't think anyone
with an American accent would have been listenable on *any* version of the
track.

The Prince cover's been hashed out here before so you all know how much I
like it :-) but both new remixes are just unbelievable . . . I didn't
think that anyone could improve on the original album track but the "power
2 harm" mix has an amazing rhythm break in the middle that just grinds all
over the place and William Orbit works his usual magic on the
funkstrumental. The "power 2 radio edit" is a waste of space though . . .
it's missing all the cool extra bits.

Three thumbs up from the Nibz-man . . . so what's the third UK single
gonna be?  And are we *ever* gonna see a single released from this
album in the US?  I'm getting tired of paying import prices . . .

--
Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

NIBBLE SAY NO RHYTHM NO DANCE