Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The KaTe Tribute Album

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1991 06:14:49 -0800
Subject: Re: The KaTe Tribute Album
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

Well, it is finally out!  Yes, I am talking about the U.S. version of
"DediKated", the Kate Tribute album (on Polymer records, tapes, C.D's,
DAT's, and Laserdisks).  This is quite different from the import version,
from what I hear:  The cover has a Kieth Haring-type drawing of a silhouette
of a guy dancing surrounded by several floating KT logos.

The whole album is produced by Todd Rundgren, who somehow managed to squeeze
all the songs into an album-length concept based on The 9th Wave.  The back
cover mostly has his liner noted, saying things like "I was, like, trying
to, like, get this whole concept together, but sometimes it was like just
a total bummer, y'know?"  Most cuts have Paddy Bush playing some ancient instruments he recently discovered at a PDQ Bach concert.  Also, David Gilmour
is credited as "Floyd Pink", since, as you probably know, Roger Waters is suing Gilmour over the name "David Gilmour".  The C.D. has a bonus cut by Prince and
the Scantily Clad Women, "L'amour Looks Something Like U (The Sticky Love mix)".

My personal review of "DediKated"?  It has a great beat, and you can dance
to it.

- Stev0

"I know Kate Bush.  Kate Bush is a friend of mine.  And Mary Steenburgen
is NO Kate Bush!"
     -LLoyd Bentson

--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   |  "Be kind to my .sig"  |  "...the..."
Stev0@sti.com          |          -Kate Bush    |     - William Shakespear