Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Say, how did you learn about Kate?

From: stev0@sti.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1991 06:09:45 -0800
Subject: Re: Say, how did you learn about Kate?
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sti.com

Hmm, I'm surprised this one doesn't come up more often here:

I learned about Kate from seeing her on Saturday Night Live (way back when
it was funny.  Obscure trivia:  SNL used to be funny!)  Later that week,
my brother, who worked at a college radio station, brought a bunch o'
albums he "borrowed", including TKI.  I told him I saw her on SNL, and asked
if I could have the album (he normally sold them to the local used record
store.  My brother is a real bastard sometimes, in case you couldn't tell).
I liked it, but being an angst-ridden teen at the time who's taste weighed
more towards The Sex Pistols and Talking Heads (those were the days when
anything that wasn't disco was lumped into the genre "punk").

I liked it, but being 100% virginal at the time, I thought "hmmm, I know
this album is meant for something special, but I don't know what."  I
listened to it on those rare occasions when I wanted to mellow out, maybe
twice a year.

Fast forward to 1981.  My girlfriend at the time is at my house.  I
discover what that something special TKI was made for.  We both become
die-hard KaTeFans (tm).  About a year later, I'm listening to Yea Olde
College Radio, when I hear a familiar voice wailing these words:
"All Yours, Babooshka, babooshka, babooshka, ya ya!"
The next day my girlfriend and I ran over to the local record store that
carried imports, only to discover not one but TWO "new" Kate albums!
(They were NOT there a month ago - I checked usually every 3 or 4 weeks
for new Kate).  Being both financially lame, we each got one:  Not knowing
what was on either one (save for "Babooshka"), she got N4E and I got LH.
Guess who was happier with her purchase.

Then we learned, from another KaTeFan (tm) that she has a NEW album coming
out "any day now".  We all danced in glee into the wee hours of the night.
About six months later, I get a frantic call:  "The new Kate is out!"  "The
new album?"  "Well, the title cut, anyway."  I run over to her house to
hear TD (the song).  Later, the Best Album in The Known Universe was released.

Well, when HoL came out, I thought ~Side 2 is good, too bad side one sux
so much." (except cloudbusting and big sky).  I also met a bunch of slobbering
KaTeFans (tm) who got turned onto her from this lame excuse for a KaTe album,
espcially in a new newsgroup that called itself "Lovehounds".  I also met one
skinny geek who liked all this death-disco crap and was going out with an
ex-girlfriend of mine.  The guy called himself Jon Drukman.  I thought "If
nerds like THIS like Kate, maybe there's something wrong with HER!"

A couple of years later, listening to The Ninth Wave via walkman, I thought
"Hey, this is GREAT!" and came back to the fold.

And the rest... well, you can guess.

-Stev0

"How could you leave me when I needed to posess you?  I hated you,
I loved you too!"
           - Pat Benatar

--
Steve Berlin (Stev0)   |  "Be kind to my .sig"  |  "...the..."
Stev0@sti.com          |          -Kate Bush    |     - William Shakespear