Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kirsty, 'chelle, IM, Marine Girls, Palaminoes, etc.

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1991 15:54:01 -0800
Subject: kirsty, 'chelle, IM, Marine Girls, Palaminoes, etc.
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

Subject: Kirsty MacColl --- concert info requested!
Kirsty MacColl, who I pine to see even more
now after her new release, Electric Landlady (note
this is *not* Ladyland, as some of you have recently
misquoted).  Originally, she supposed to be one
of two opening acts for Squeeze.  I called the Riv in
Chicago yesterday and they said she's been taken OFF that
bill... that was all they new.  They said call the
record company for more info!  Well, does anyone around there
in gaffa land have any more info, before I start trying to
call promotional depts of record companies?
This is hopefully a blessing in disguise... i.e. perhaps
she will now tour alone and (please Kate) not perform
at the slimy armpit the riv is in Chicago (scum thru and thru).

Further, I am beginning shake as I ponder the dumbluck of
missing Innocence Mission as they tour the country.
I might try to catch them in Madison at Club Dewash on Nov. 6,
but the only info about this I have ascertained is that
the place holds 250 people tops (encouraging) and shows
start at 10pm.  Are there any Madisonites out there
in gaffaland who know *anything* more about the concert
the venue the price the time etc.??  Please come forward
or send me email!!!! (stern@stella.chem.nwu.edu)
Also, if there are any die-hard IM-fans in Chicagoland
who would like to ride up to Madison to see this band
at a small venue the night before they hit the crowded,
noisy, standing room only Metro in Chicago, please
email me, or better yet, call me! (708-332-1821)
Finally, if any love-hounds are going to see the show in
Madison, likewise give me a buzz, as I know nothing about the town and
would love to meet any hounds out there.

And, on a kate-related note, any chances of a Kate-party
happening anywhere near NYC over TG weekend??!
I will be there.

Haven't heard RM yet, but I'm wondering why no-one covered
Empty Garden --- unless they were so daunted by the
original that they shied away (has this ever discouraged
a cover before?  Nahhh).  EG is arguably one of the most
powerful EJ/BT songs around... unfortunately it appears
on one of the only EJ albums not to exist on disk
(Jump Up!)... anyone know why.  The song does appear
on EJ GH3 (amidst tons of other crud)... it is
of course about John Lennon.

I too was very lucky to see Michelle Shocked recently
at a small show at Northwestern U... arguably this was
the best kept secret in Chicago!  She is getting
married and going Bluegrass.  Her new album
is due out in Feb. and will feature collabs with a series
of old-time legends (mostly Afr-Ams, I think) from around
the south US.  She was accompanied by Bad Livers...
bass violin, lots of mandolin/banjo, accordian, fiddle.
She is *so* much fun to see live: she has a great
stage presence.  I went with someone who thought they
didn't like her (judging from the Alaska song) but a
great time was had by all, including a moving acoustic
rendition of said song.   "I've been travelling 300
miles and I still haven't left LA" was one memorable lyric.
She is as witty and subliminal a lyricist as Kirsty!

Oh, I've also listened to that Marine Girls import I
found at the new tower in chicago... it features
the lead vocalist from Everything but the Girl.
They're great!

Also, can anyone tell me more about Golden Palominoes?
I have one CD called The Dead Horse which is fine music...
and features neither Syd Straw nor Michael Stipe!
Any recommendations for other albums?  Is it worth
getting the Thundering Herd compilation?

Sorry for the long post...
-mjm (mike mendelson)  stern@stella.chem.nwu.edu