Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Yma Sumac

From: Christopher Gene BeHanna <cb2s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1991 01:20:59 -0800
Subject: Re: Yma Sumac
To: love-hounds@ims.alaska.edu

     Yma Sumac was a coloratura soprano who lived and worked around the turn
of the century (I believe I have the time right).  Her voice extended well
above C'' and was often compared to the whistle blown by street peanut
vendors, at least in the references I've read.  Check out the book _The
Singer and his Art_.  Unfortunately, I forget the author's name.

     Also, if anyone remembers the correct Italian to describe that altissimo
range, I'd be much obliged.  My own voice is described as "tenore leggiero"
for those who may have been curious.

Chris BeHanna
cb2s+@andrew.cmu.edu