Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Annie Haslam

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1991 20:35:50 -0800
Subject: Annie Haslam
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Valerie Nozick writes:

>> Mr. Eder replies with a list of 31 artists, followed by ". . ."
>> This list includes the Sundays, Enya, Suzanne Vega, Clannad, Annie
>> Haslam, 10,000 Maniacs, KATE BUSH, k.d. lang, Siouxsie and the Banshees,
>> etc.
>
>Hey, this critic has *fantastic* taste.  Based on his other selections, I want
>to check out Annie Haslam, the one artist who I haven't heard of that was
>mentioned.  Anyone know anything about her?

You're right--this guy does have very good taste in female vocalists...

Annie Haslam was the lead singer for the art-rock band Rennaisance.  It should
be pretty easy to find _Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume I and Volume II_.  These
are best-of compilations of Rennaisance stuff.  The two CDs are sold
seperately, and are packed with music; Vol I is well over 70 minutes, as I
recall.  Rennaisance was an interesting band that combined orchestral
arrangements with rock, similar to the Moody Blues, bits of Tull, and so
on and so forth.  One thing that set them apart was that they were more
interested in Slavic composers than some of their art-rock contemporaries.
The lyrics were written by some female poet who lived in the English
country side.

Annie Haslam's voice is quite a pleasure to listen to; good range, nice
tone, etc.

A couple of years ago, Haslam released her first solo album, which is
available domestically.  I haven't heard it, but have read that it was
quite disappointing.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |