Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Medieval Rockets

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 16:10:25 -0700
Subject: Re: Medieval Rockets
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM

Hi!

>From Vickie's fingertips:

> Meredith, you mentioned that you are into Medieval music. I don't think
> this would classify, but it's close. Do you know of a group named
> Miranda Sex Garden? They are an acapella group who sing songs dating
> from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. (What years do "Medieval"
> encompass?)

No, I've never heard of them- at least, not that I know of. :)  As far as what
can be termed "Medieval", that depends whose book you're reading.  My personal
dates are from ca.800-1517, that is from Charlemagne to the Reformation, but
there are those who say flat-out 400-1400, 800-1789, and lots of other spots in
between.

As far as "Medieval music" goes, that encompasses the German Minnesang, the
songs of the Troubadours, the Crusades, and of course Gregorian Chant and
Plainsong.  Once you get into (more) complicated string arrangements and funky
vocal lines, you're into the Renaissance, Elizabethan, and Baroque periods...

Judging just from the dates, I'd say Miranda Sex Garden does Renaissance and
very early Baroque, even Elizabethan (depending on what language it's in :).
I'll still check it out, though.  Thanks!!! :)

> I heard they were discovered "busking" in London by Barry
> Moss. (Aside...Lisa Gerrard of DCD was discovered while busking in
> Melbourne. Moral? Listen closely to those musicians you pass on the way
> to and from work! You never know!)

In the wake of Enigma's success, I heard that certain discoverer-types were
keeping their ears open for buskers and discovering new talent just last year
(sorry Lazlo, don't have a volume or page number on that one- a conversation
with a friend 'long about June, I'd say- that a good enough citation for you?
:)...

> A personal opinion, I wish that the CD were more like the 12" but at
> least the 12" exists to spark hopes that they'll do an entire album
> of alternative medieval percussive danceish music someday.

ooo, if you describe it that way, I hope so, too!

Meredith Tarr			"Oh yes I know I'm always falling,
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Gazing at hazy goldfish in your swimming eyes"
Wesleyan University						-Kate Bush