Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Medieval Rockets

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1991 03:44:00 -0700
Subject: Medieval Rockets
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here.

Meredith, you mentioned that you are into Medieval music. I don't think
this would classify, but it's close. Do you know of a group named
Miranda Sex Garden? They are an acapella group who sing songs dating
from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. (What years do "Medieval"
encompass?) Their album is called _Madra_ and the CD I have is an
American release on Mute/Electra/WEA. A friend of mine found a 12"
remix of the song "Gush Forth My Tears" which, on the album, is a
straight acapella version, but on the 12" is very percussive and
alternative/ethereal. She had been looking for the album, but
couldn't find it. I got it first and told her to quit looking in
the alternative/imports section and check out the classical/vocals
section. Bingo. There's *such* a difference between the 12" and the
album, you'd never know it was the same group.

I like this music, but I can only take it in very small doses. I most
certainly would recommend this CD. Their voices are amazing and a treat
to listen to. I heard they were discovered "busking" in London by Barry
Moss. (Aside...Lisa Gerrard of DCD was discovered while busking in
Melbourne. Moral? Listen closely to those musicians you pass on the way
to and from work! You never know!)

A personal opinion, I wish that the CD were more like the 12" but at
least the 12" exists to spark hopes that they'll do an entire album
of alternative medieval percussive danceish music someday.

Dream concert....Miranda Sex Garden (12" version)
                 Maria Ex Communikata
*wow*

Turning to "Rocket Man"

I like it. The album as a whole sucks (IMHO) with very few inspired
performances. This compilation needed Hal Wilner. Sinead's is the
only other one that's really great. Other decently good ones were
Jon Bon Jovi's "Levon" (I _never_ thought I'd have a good word to
say about him!) and the Bruce Hornsby "Madman Across The Water"
cover. The rest range from decently OK to el-stinko.

Why didn't Jimmy Sommerville do "Daniel"?

I have a soft spot for Oleta Adams. Her cover is "Don't Let The Sun..."
is pretty good. I'm not into Oleta Adams, though I admire her voice.
It's just that she's from Kansas City and I've been hearing her for
years. She was a lounge singer who was discovered by the Tears For Fears
fellas. It's really, really nice to see Oleta on an album like this, an
unknown amidst all these big names. Good for her!

Kate's RM is unusual and interesting. I like it most toward the end,
when she starts to let rip. The beginning is disorienting, but it
worked for me anyway. Hey, it's a cover recorded a couple of years
ago. Her current work can't be guaged by this song. It's a trifle,
but I like it.

*This* is being written after only 2 complete listens to the entire
album. Like Meredith, my opinions are subject to change.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us