Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New KaTe!

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1991 14:41:28 -0700
Subject: Re: New KaTe!
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Warning:  I only listened to the single once so far, so my onions are
subject to dicing.

In <0095025b4c2ca978@ash.bnr.co.uk> S.L.Fagg@bnr.co.UK (Steve Fagg) writes:
>The song starts off with a slow, quiet, introduction sung by KaTe over what
>sounds like a pipe organ (Fairlight sampled?)

If so, really badly done if I must say so.  Overall I was amused and
liked the song--the reggae ness of it comes off pretty well to me, but
then I'm not a huge reggae fan either.  But at the beginning I can remember
thinking, geez, I thought the bad sounds on "Ken" were supposed to be
parodic....is this going to be a trend?

>					as far as "On such a timeless
>flight".  And, yes, KaTe does sing "*she* packed my bag" and "I miss my *wife*"
>taking on the viewpoint of the "Rocket *Man*" rather than doing a Tiffany.

Well, it helps it rhyme too...

>I wouldn't be surprised to see "Rocket Man" turning up on the backside of a
>single  from the next album sometime.

It is a radio single in the US, that's how I've got it.  Don't intend to buy
the Elton John cover album, don't care for his stuff THAT much.

>				Talking of candles, Sinead's quote (in
>its entirety)  reads: "I can't believe no-one did 'Candle in the Wind'" (she
>did "Sacrifice").

How well?  That might be worth it, but I bought _Stay Awake_ for her
contribution, only to find it the weakest thing on the album.  Good thing
I liked the rest of the album.
--
-----
Pete Hartman		  Bradley University		pwh@bradley.bradley.edu