Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Sensual World and Modern Love

From: viewpnt!echelon!henrik@uunet.UU.NET (Larry DeLuca)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1991 14:19:08 -0700
Subject: The Sensual World and Modern Love
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Frankly, I don't see what this "glazed donut" argument is all about.

It's true that _The Sensual World_ doesn't employ a lot of the gimmicks
all too common in production today to the extent that a lot of recordings
do, but I think this is largely to the album's credit.  Sure, anyone can
take a DX-7 line, break it up and send it to six different tracks and pan
them all over the stereo field, or use a flip-flopping-regenerated-delay
to make their voice sail back and forth betwen the speakers, but so what?

I think the mixes are considerably more subtle (and somewhat more static)
than people are used to right now.  The songs themselves, however, aren't
really suited to being remixed by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, though, either.

There's texture there, tons of it - but it doesn't leap out and yank on
your shorthairs, it supports the basic structure created in the songs, and
will wrap around you like a warm coat or a morning breeze if you let it
do so.

I think that modern production has spoiled people on music sometimes.

					larry...