Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.324

From: Zimri Smith <ST701790@brownvm.brown.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 19:50:04 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.324
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

J. Fingerle expressed an interest in exploring some new musical frontiers.

In no particular order, here's some of what I've been listening to (other
than Kate, of course) recently:

Golden Palominos : Drunk With Passion
Lounge Lizards : Live in Tokyo - Big Heart
Caetano Veloso : Estrangeiro
John Gorka : Land of the Bottom Line
           : Jack's Crows
Ryuichi Sakamoto : soundtrack to The Sheltering Sky
Shawn Colvin : Steady On
3 Mustaphas 3 : Soup of the Century
Gipsy Kings : Allegria
David Bowie : Heroes
Clannad : Pastpresent
Luka Bloom : Riverside
Fishbone : Fishbone
Jane Siberry : The Speckless Sky
Everything But The Girl : The Language of Life
Salif Keita : Amen

     I've been trying to push Shawn Colvin on all my friends for the
last year, or so; Steady On gets pretty consistent airplay in my
apartment. If CDs wore out with use, I'd be on my tenth copy.
     Also, if there are any fans of Kate out there who have not
heard Jane Siberry, all I can say is: run, don't walk, to your
favourite musical purveyor.
     I would pretty much recommend everything listed above; but
if it's anybody's introduction to a particular artist, I'd
probably suggest a few different albums as starters.

     I'm very, very big on the John Gorka and Luka Bloom
albums listed above.

     Oh, and a final caveat: if you haven't heard them before,
Everything but the Girl tend to get awfully sappy.

I hope the above suggestions spark some discussion!