Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

This Mortal Coil

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 20:07:35 -0700
Subject: This Mortal Coil
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle) writes:

> today.  And _Gala_  by Lush is on order, also.  New question, someone
> mentioned This Mortal Coil.  I've repeatedly heard of them, what do
> they sound like?  What is the quintessential (did I get that right?)
> release of theirs?

This Mortal Coil is not a band, it consists of musicians from different bands
on the 4A.D. label.  There's three albums, each by a different collection of
artists:  "It"ll end in tears", "Filigree and Shadow", and "Blood".  The music
varies quite a bit, could best be described as dreamy, haunting, ethereal,
beautiful, sad.

As to a quintessential release, there isn't one!  Get them all!!  I must
confess to a partiality to "Filigree and Shadow", with "Blood" a close
second.  They are all *long* albums.  I have the "F&S" and "Blood" CDs here
with me and they both clock in at over 70 minutes.

Also, I understand there will be no future TMC projects.  Anyone know this for
sure ?

- V