Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Mortal Coil

From: rodent@netcom.com (Ben Discoe)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1991 21:05:29 -0700
Subject: Re: This Mortal Coil
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

vishal@m2.csc.ti.COM (Vishal Markandey) writes:

>fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle) writes:

>> today.  And _Gala_  by Lush is on order, also.

I was dissapointed with _Gala_.  It is not at all like the haunting,
ethereal, abstract, morbid prettiness that occupies other 4AD bands.
In fact, it sounds more like a conventional british girl band with
some odd chord changes.

>[This Mortal Coil]
>There's three albums, each by a different collection of
>artists:  "It"ll end in tears", "Filigree and Shadow", and "Blood".  The music
>varies quite a bit

That's understating it.  "Totally mis-matched" would be more accurate.
In other words, whatever kind of music you like, there will be several
songs that rub you the wrong way, typically mixed in such a way as to
wreck the mood of the CD.

> could best be described as dreamy, haunting, ethereal,
>beautiful, sad.

Could also be described as melodramatic, whining, forcedly depressed
and morbid in a most phony way.  Don't get me wrong, I like most of
it :-)  And the first, "It'll end in tears" contains a few genuinely
pretty and convincingly real songs.  However, adjectives like "dreamy,
haunting, ethereal" etc. really belong more with DCD or Cocteau Twins
than with the odd mis-matched collection TMC.

------
Ben
  "I'm not a computational neurophysicist, but I play one on T.V."