Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: stupid thoughts I decided to mention

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 17:49:36 -0700
Subject: Re: stupid thoughts I decided to mention
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Fingerle writes:

>>Rifle clicks?  I've learned yet another thing from Love-Hounds.
>
>The discussion of this topic started about two weeks ago and
>originally concerned some people's attempts to explain a trivial
>concept, ie., reproducing any sound on your latest record.

Wrong.  It originally concerned someone wondering what that particular
percussive sound was.

It *is* an interesting part of the arrangement, if not an integral part
of the song, and it makes a lot of sense to have it.

>Why does it seem so strange for KaTe to have taped a bolt
>click, or possibly dragged the Fairlight out for a sample?
>Didja ever hear the Beach Boys song "409" that starts with a
>revving engine?  Brian Wilson simply miked his car engine and
>captured the sound on tape.  And this was in 1963.

Again, I don't remember anything like this being discussed.  There was
some joking about things KaTe might say while *recording* such samples,
if, indeed, she recorded them herself.  However, no one is trying to
bestow a KaTe Is God award simply because she included this sound in her
song.

>I'm in an adventurous mood of late, could someone please
>recommend the queinessential (sp?) Cocteau Twins' cd?
>What are they like?  Same for Lush, anyone got some thoughts
>on them?

"quintessential"

The quintessential Cocteau Twins CD depends on who you ask.  I don't remember
ever seeing a whole mass of people agree on a single album.  Having only
heard 3 or 4 of 'em myself, I'm not qualified to say.  Lush, on the other
hand, has only released one album so far, though they've put out lots of
EPs (in fact, isn't _Gala_ a compilation of 3 EPs?)

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |