Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ecto/ Marriage/ Yma/ Cocteau Lyrics...

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 15:24:00 -0700
Subject: Ecto/ Marriage/ Yma/ Cocteau Lyrics...
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Vickie here.

Vishal Markandey writes:
netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:

>> 1. Is this group JUST for Kate?  It appears to be totally obsessed with
>> her.

> This is primarily Kate space, although other artists are certainly
> discussed.

You'll find people's tastes here are wide and varied. I've learned about
a lot of great music on this list. 4ADish stuff is particularly popular.

> Sometimes discussions of these other artists can reach deafening
> proportions, in which case proper protocol calls for the rest of us to
> scream loud and long at the offending parties until they set up a mailing
> list and call it "Ecto". :-)

:-) myself...Ecto is a mailing list dedicated to a singer/songwriter/musician
named Happy Rhodes, who has 5 albums but no record contract. It's pretty
unique for an unknown/unsigned artist to have a mailing list, as far as I
know. It's a very active list, with over 50 people so far and sometimes
upwards of 20 messages a day passing hands. It's a very friendly list, and
almost everybody on it originally came from rec.music.gaffa/Love-Hounds.
We discuss lots of things besides Happy (just finished a thread about
ethereal music, and started a thread about Genesis' first 1967 album) but
of course, she's our main focus, as Kate is here.

ubvms wants to know:

> I was talking with a friend the other day, and he mentioned that KaTe was
> married to some famous musician.  Could anyone enlighten me on this?

She's not married, but she's lived with the same man for many, many years.
He's Del Palmer. Not famous, except to Kate fans.

Someone asked about Yma Sumac a couple of days ago and I lost that message.
The only thing I can recommend is keep trying to find her albums. They're
pretty obscure. As to what section they might be in, I haven't the faintest.
She might be in World/Ethnic or possibly Folk (though I wouldn't really
call her folk). If you buy LPs, you might have good luck at used record
stores. At least 2 of her albums are available on CD, but good luck finding
them too. If you had a choice, _Voice of the Xtabay_ is the better album.
Well, it's certainly my favorite, because it has less orchestration and
more traditional-type music.

Sean asks:

Cocteau Twins:

> If not, do you know any of the lyrics to any of their songs....(Preferably
> from Heaven Or Las Vegas)  I have the WORST time understanding them!

But, there are no lyrics in Cocteau Twins songs. It only seems that way
because every now and then you can pick out an "English" word. Liz is the
only person in the known universe who knows what she's singing about.
She has always used sounds as words and words as sounds. Nothing more.
At least, nothing more that you should worry about, or you'll end up
driving yourself crazy, running down the street screaming "WHAT DOES
SHE _MEAN_, CHEERIOS?????" and then your friends and relatives will
worry about you.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us