Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

kirsty maccoll

From: your tragic beauty <REWOICC%ERENJ@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 04:54:06 -0700
Subject: kirsty maccoll
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Larry Spence asks:
>I've seen mention of Kirsty MacColl here before, but never really had much
>idea of what she sounded like.  However, I liked the "Walking Down Madison"
>track enough to buy the CD-single.
...|
>Anyway, now I'm in the position of wondering if the rest of the new album
>sounds utterly unlike the single, or what?

as me and others have said, _electric ladyland_ is a smattering of
everything from folk-rock tunes to latin to anything else that kirsty
can think of. i was surprised at the breadth of the styles that she
does touch on, but i do feel that she has managed to come off well
in spite of that wandering amongst the genres (an erland wet dream
perhaps?).

>I haven't heard _Kite_ or anything else she's done, either.

i bet you have heard "they don't know" (the song that tracy ullman
made famous). kirsty originally wrote and recorded it. i like her
version much better actually.

as for _kite_, it is much more consistant stylistically - more akin
to "walking down madison" than the rest of _electric ladyland_ i would
say as well. good stuff - i'd recommend it.

woj@remus.rutgers.edu - rewoicc@erenj.bitnet - born to be fast-forwarded