Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: boris%monsoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 22:25:54 -0700
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)

In article <7455@cernvax.cern.ch> lishka@cernvax.cern.ch (christopher lishka) writes:

>I am not sure why she isn't discussed.  She seems (to me at least) to
>be sort of an opposite of Kate Bush: in terms of vocals, Ms.
>Anderson's voice is nowhere near the capabilities of Ms. Bush's.

Speaking about opposite to KT: I rented her Live at the Hammersmith...
and LA's Home of the Brave, and saw the latter latter. Well, after
seeing KT, LA seemed so, androgenous (sp?). Maybe it's because
she's been a rabbi in past 100 lives.

The
>song contents are very different too, although both artists have a lot
>of good things to say about women's rights (I especially enjoy Laurie
>Anderson's comments on how much women make in relation to men).

What's funny, is that Laurie seems to get her data messed up. I heard
that its about up to 70 cents per buck that a man makes. But regardless,
those stats may be misleading since: 1) more men work than women,
2) women on average have jobs that inherently pay less; it may have
little to do with unequal pay for jobs, but of course, I know that
unequal pay exists. It's just that it probably isn't as bad as she
says. I think she also messed up in her Home of the Brave movie
where she discusses 1's and 0's. Her discussion with the Playboy
bunny in her recent video tape was pretty good though.

--boris