Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Few questions about this group

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 21:04:39 -0700
Subject: Re: Few questions about this group
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

rodent asks:

>1. Is this group JUST for Kate?

No, but mostly...

>It appears to be totally obsessed with her.

Yes, it is.  But that's okay--KaTe's the reason it was created.

>2. Where did the group creators get the word "gaffa" and what does it mean?

It's from a Kate Bush song called "Suspended in Gaffa."  Trust me, you don't
want to know what it means.  You may start another flame war.  (Hmmm.  Can
a SiG flamefest be falled this closely by a second one, or will it fall
apart immediately?)

>3. I'm more into the Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance etc.  Is this the place
>   for me or should I get lost?

This is as good a place as any, and better than many others.  You will find
many fans of both these bands, as well as many other ethereal types here.

>4. Is Kate on the 4AD label?  Just what IS the 4AD label anyway, and who
>   is on it beside the above two groups?

No, KaTe is on EMI (and, now, Columbia in the US).  4AD is an English label
with lots of alternative acts.  There are lots of great (and not great)
bands on the label, including but not limited to:  Xymox, Lush, Pixies,
Throwing Muses, This Mortal Coil, His Name Is Alive (which always makes me
think of a Happy Rhodes song...), The Breeders, and some others that I should
probably be able to think of, but can't.  Unfortunately, 4AD isn't particularly
good about releasing things in the U.S. and it can be difficult to get
reasonably priced copies of stuff, even when the band in question is from
America.  As an example, I've only seen import copies of His Name Is Alive's
_Livonia_ (did I get the title right?), yet they're from...um...Michigan, I
believe.  In fact, the Pixies are one of the few acts that have had all of
their stuff released in the States (except for the "Planet of Sound" EP).
(everyone else please correct me if I've mucked any of this up...)

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |