Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fairlight

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 14:19:01 -0700
Subject: Fairlight
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jon druks:

>I missed the original explanation, it seems, but I should point out that
>there is generally no "resynthesis" involved in sampling.

But what Chris pointed out is that the Fairlight is not a sampler in the
conventional sense.  From Chris' description, it does much the same thing
that Alchemy for the Mac, which you mentioned, does--analyzes the input
sample, turning it into a synthesis algorhythm, allowing it to be played
back along a keyboard without the pitch being dependant upon playback
speed.  So it might even be fair to say that the Fairlight *is* primarily
a synthesizer with a small sampler (and lots of number crunching additives)
tacked on...

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |