Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Babooshka video

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 11:34:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Babooshka video
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM

Hi!

Chris (risen from the grave- how are you? :) observes:

>   No, it wasn't intended to be a serious analysis of the song. Though,
> at the risk of sounding too flip, we probably take that video _much_
> more seriously than Kate does. It may well be that the sword-wielding
> character only represents Kate's desire to wear an outfit like that.

I've long been convinced that one morning Kate awoke, went down to the kitchen
for her morning tea, and announced to the cats: "Y'know, I've always wanted to
prance around in a brass bra!"  And the concept of the "Babooshka" video was
born. Truly a great moment in film history.  :)

> On Dr. Hook show (Snow White and the Seven Cretins) Kate wore a costume
> and make-up splitting her in half; her right side severe and repressed,
> in a prim black dress; her left (our right) side in a wild shiny pointed
> outfit, her face painted with lightning bolts.

Hmmm- left= "sinister", the "bad" side.  (Goes back to the medieval presumption
that lefties were the spawns of Satan- and red-headed lefties were demons
incarnate!-)  Interesting, if glaringly obvious symbol here...

Meredith Tarr			"Oh yes I know I'm always falling,
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Gazing at hazy goldfish in your swimming eyes"
Wesleyan University						-Kate Bush