Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

An Image In Your Eye

From: MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 11:37:41 -0700
Subject: An Image In Your Eye
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Hi!

A few thoughts about Kate's videos, in response to the response to the...
(well, I'm not going to bother to include quotes, anyway.)

"Wuthering Heights": considering when it was made, it's a pretty neat video.
It reeks Seventies and Keef, but the choreography is aptly girlish (the
cartwheels and such), and the camera imagery isn't yet annoying, because
at this stage of TWS you haven't already seen it four times.  :)
"Army Dreamers": someone mentioned this one and the video for "WH" in the
same breath, and I first thought the complaint about staring into the camera
and wooden choreography were about "AD" not "WH"!  That got me thinking- she
is staring into the camera and moving (well, running :) like a mannequin
in this one, but isn't that commensurate with military imagery?  Also, the
blinking of the eyes at the rifle-clicks struck my friend (a non-KaTefan)
so much, that every time she hears me playing it she automatically blinks
at the appropriate times! :)

"RUTH": I still have to show this to my housemate, who is writing her thesis
on dance in video.  I'll post the results, but for now, I think it's one
of the best-choreographed things she's done (although "Hammer Horror" from
LaH is also good- but you can definitely see seeds of RUTH in that one, too!).
Also, the costumes are perfect for what the song is trying to convey- neither
male nor female, both people wearing the exact same thing.  It really works.

"Hounds of Love": someone mentioned old postings about trivia having to do
with this video (which I've never been able to understand in the slightest).
Is it in a special place in the Archives?  If not, could someone be so kind
as to e-mail those postings to me?  Thanks in advance.

"The Big Sky": as I've previously mentioned, an aptly FUN video for this
FUN song.  :)

"Experiment IV": wow.  She really could go into horror directing... and the
shot of her clambering up into the truck at the very end kills me every time!

"Cloudbusting": I loved the song even before I knew what it was about, and
before I'd ever seen the video.  Once I saw the video, the song grabbed me
even more.  Then I read _A Book Of Dreams_.  Now, "Cloudbusting" has the
most emotional impact for me than any other KaTesong.  This was of course
helped by the wonderful imagery of the video- simply telling the story, and
letting the story itself take over... wow.

"The Dreaming": the pigeon-necked dance moves that pop up are classic.  Saves
the whole video for me...

"The Sensual World": please, how much pagan imagery can we cram into four
minutes???  It's great.  The costume is again perfect for the song, the imagery
is wonderful... I don't know about the dancing, though.  But that last look
into the camera at the end... mmmh, yes!  :)

So that's my latest drivel about the videos.  I'm glad to see how she's developed
as a video artist and filmmaker- and I still feel a twinge whenever I listen
to "The Ninth Wave" and realize what could have been...

...but alas.  Who knows what wonders lie in store for the next project?
(Cripes, at this rate, the world may never know... :)
Meredith Tarr			"Oh yes I know I'm always falling,
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu	 Gazing at hazy goldfish in your swimming eyes"
Wesleyan University						-Kate Bush