Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-Hounds Digest #7.313

From: viewpnt!echelon!henrik@uunet.UU.NET (Larry DeLuca)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 09:19:16 -0700
Subject: Love-Hounds Digest #7.313
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................

What about this new album, huh?  Any news on the tour (or lack thereof)?
How about them Red Sox?  And what about Naomi?

Seriously, though:

	1.  The first verse to "Babooshka" ends in "...she couldn't have
	made a worse (worst) move".  (See debates in the archives about
	whether this was a slip, an alternate version of the line, or
	merely a bad punch-in. (to: Christopher Tate, CXT105@psuvm.psu.edu).

	2.  "James and the Cold Gun" isn't exactly contiguous with
	"Wuthering Heights".  When the albums were conceived, mastered,
	and released, the only formats available at the time (CD and Cassette -
	I don't think there were any 8-track version of _The Kick Inside_)
	had side breaks.

	3.  Laurie Anderson's lyric is actually "Paradise / is exactly
	like / where you are right now / only much / much / better."
	(to: Boris Chen (boris%monsoon.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu).

	4.  Vicki, I could be wrong, but I *don't* think that's a cello.
	I am a mere six inches taller than Ms. Bush, and I've stood next
	to both a cello and a bass.  The bass was close to my height,
	but the cello was quite a bit smaller.  I'll go watch the video
	again, though.

	5.  I thought that she was representing the two facets of her
	personality in the "Babooshka" video - cold, analytical wife
	dressed in black, mourning a marriage already over in all but the
	legal sense and dashing, daring mistress who is erotic, exotic,
	and exciting.

	6.  Kate Bush's early videos all share a common problem - she
	was trained for the stage, and not for film.  Each medium has
	its own rules - film with its closeups and intimacy requires much
	more subtlety in acting than does the stage, where larger emphasis
	in voice and movement are required to push an impression across
	the footlights.  Further, she received mimetic training - already
	a stylization - almost a parody - of straight acting.

	Most videos of the time share these problems.  Most movies from
	the first 20 years of film share these problems (since there had
	never been any films previously to guide people).  Watching the
	MTV generation re-invent the acting wheel has been an interesting
	and often amusing experience.

	7.  Most likely the rifle bolt was a sample that came with the
	Fairlight.  Around the time that Ms. Bush was coming into contact
	with it for the first time it was a *very* new idea.  A short,
	percussive sound like a rifle bolt is an excellent sound to sample
	for a demo (you don't have the looping problem, and people probably
	won't play it up and down the keyboard to see how it scales).  I
	know for a fact that the original Fairlight included (among other
	things) digeridu samples, waterfalls, and orchestra hits.  Why
	not a rifle bolt click?

	8.  New Music: Kirsty MacColl's new album - _Electric Landlady_.
	Produced by Steve Lillywhite, the album is a curious mixture of
	a rather contemporary groove between techno and hip-hop, and
	a rather splashy sort of latin-jazz/"old-standard" type sound.
	All-in-all, her lyric writing is quite good (my favorite is
	"My Affair", after "Walking Down Madison"), and the album contains
	all live musicians.  It's good, but it's different, and takes some
	listening to get into.

					larry...