Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWS: videos

From: v129j6ed@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (I want to learn more about you, we haven't spoke in quite awhile...)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1991 15:53:00 -0700
Subject: TWS: videos
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@acsu.buffalo.edu

I recently picked up TWS video collection, and thought that this a
better than average video collection. (Considering that one of my
video collections has been aptedly named 'the worst video
compilation, ever')
I would like to my cents into this.

["Wuthering Heights":  For a Keef video, this one isn't too
[embarrassing.  The choreography saves this one.

This is neither bad, nor great.  We have to remember the Rock
Video revolution was not pushed into full gear until, at
least, a few years later. Hearing the song allows me to
enjoy the video much more, but, I would have liked a bigger
production for it.

["Cloudbusting":  A masterpiece.  This was the first Kate Bush
[video I ever saw, and the first exposure to her music.  It's been
[so long ago for me that I can no longer guess what appealed to
[that younger self who had never heard of Kate before.  My
[feelings about it now can only be distantly related to what I
[felt that first time I saw it, but it speaks well for its power
[and presentation that seeing it only _once or twice_ KonverTed
[me.  Still my favorite Kate video.

I liked this from the first moment I saw this. I was happy to find
out where the picture on the back cover of TWS CD was from.
I do have a question though. Is that Donald Sutherland who plays
the father, or is it some one who just looks like him? Also, is
this version of the song found on any other places, or was it made
for the video only?

["The Man with the Child in His Eyes":  Ugh.  This video does
[nothing to help the song, unless you are hormone-crazed enough
[that you want to stare at close-ups of Kate in bad lighting and
[bad makeup.

Agreed.

["Breathing":  A Keef video that manages to be creative.  Man, that
[plastic suit must have been uncomfortable.  How did they keep the
[bubble inflated?

I thought that this was the worst video in the collection.  One thing
though.  It reminds me of people who need purified air to breathe in
those bubbles.  Is this what she was trying to suggest?

["Wow":  I've already seen Live at Hammersmith, dammit.  However,
[it does make a certain ironic statement, with Kate singing "We're
[all alone on the stage tonight" while showing her on stage.

I have not seen Hammersmith, but will get it soon, but, I really
liked this video.  It gives a general view what her concerts are
like.  Definately is the first and better of people who do similiar
like Madonna, and such.

["Hounds of Love":  Boy oh boy oh boy.  The images in this video
[go with the song, but I never would have imagined these images
[myself.  The way Kate changes from nerd-girl to frightened
[hostage to coy smiling tango-woman is just amazing.  I caught the
[Hitchcock walk-through, but now I need to find those old posts on
[all the other trivia.  Still can't figure out when the handcuffs
[come off during the party.

Excellent video. This is a perfect example of a video director
who knows how to direct.  Hats off to KaTe.

["Running up That Hill": My favorite Kate video used to be the
["Hammer Horror" sequence from _LaH_ (I want a Kate gargoyle! What
[a tongue) but this surpasses it.

This happens to be my favorite song from KaTe.  This is the only
video from "Hounds of Love" not directed by her.  Personally, this
is the weekest of the those videos.

["Army Dreamers":  Cinematic Keef videos aren't as embarrassing.

I laughed, at first, when KaTe closed her eyes to the clicks, but
the video grows on you.

["Sat in Your Lap":  Lunatic, but almost too weird.  Or maybe not
[weird enough.  The dancing doesn't quite seem frenetic enough to
[match my vision of the song.

Strange, but there are a few symbols in there too.

["Experiment IV":  Like all _HoL_-era videos, this is another work
[of genius.  I wish the album version of the song had that
[poignant violin bridge.  A chilling miniature horror film.  If,
[god forbid, Kate ever decided to drop music she could probably do
[well directing feature-length horror films.

This is my first and favorite Kate video.
["The Dreaming":  The studio-set look of this video dilutes its
[impact.  However, no matter what this would be a hard video to
[do; this song is just too surreal.

They did all they could do for it. Another strange one.

["Babooshka":  I really kind of like this one.  The choreography
[is interesting if not very active and the warrior-goddess costume
[and persona are, umm, let's just say riveting.  The friend I
[showed this to kept saying, awestruck, "I could never have
[imagined!"

I love the song but the video seemed endless. Oh well.

["The Big Sky":  Much more conventional than the other _HoL_-era
[videos, but definitely the sort of fun-filled romp the song
[inspires.

Definately, more of an MTV video, but still appealing to the eye.

jeff kolodziej
v129j6ed@ubvms