Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Is there so much hate for the ones we love?

From: nstar!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1991 09:45:28 -0700
Subject: Is there so much hate for the ones we love?
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:

> Vickie here.
>
> Yeah Jorn, I know what you mean. I have decided to quit writing about
> how much I love Kate. Why pour your heart out when it will just get
> dumped on? Stick to facts and figures (though those have been attacked
> recently too) questions and comments, news and information. It's very
> fashionable to be cynical and anti-hero nowadays I guess. How sad.
> Some people mistake genuine affection and admiration for "slobbering."

Oh please.  You people are every bit as cynical as anyone
else here.  Yeah, you talk sweetness and light and pour out your
hearts for all of the horrible cynics to smirk at.  But underneath
all the sugar frosting you're just as prone to questioning people's
motives, intentions or nature as anyone here.

You doubt the people who look at things from a fundamentally different
point of view.  For you it's not possible that they are perfectly
reasonable people who simply see things differently, they have to
be anti-hero cynics who are courting some sort of fashion.

By now you should be well aware that I have just as much affection
and admiration for Kate as any of you.  I also have a great deal
of respect for Kate and out of respect for her I keep all of that in
perspective.   She doesn't want or need us kissing her feet and she
wouldn't mind someone speaking up from time to time to remind you
people that she's got a few corns.

It's easy to have a god as a hero.  They're perfect.  You don't
have to account for their faults.  Try having a human being as a
hero for a change.  You'll find it not quite as easy, but much
more rewarding.

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP