Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: BFPO (was Re: sound in Army Dreamers)

From: scott@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 05:19:59 -0700
Subject: Re: BFPO (was Re: sound in Army Dreamers)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk

In article <91Oct10.130349pdt.436279@wiretap.Spies.COM>
lester@gandalf.etdesg.TRW.COM (Jeffrey A. Lester) writes:

>>What's the meaning of "B.F.P.O" as used in this song?  Anyone know?
>
>British Forces Posted Overseas

Nope. I'm fairly sure it's "Britsh Forces Post Office", "BFPO" is always
used in mail addresses for members of the armed forces, usually as part
of a sort of miltary zip code (eg. the British forces in the Gulf were
something like "BFPO 4000").

[PS. I'm posting from cs.hw.ac.uk again due to unreasonable restrictions
imposed my the Comp Sci Dept. at Edinburgh Uni on student netnews
access. Just wanted to tell everybody that 8^)]

Scott Telford,
no longer at the Dept. of Computer Science, Heriot-Watt University, UK,
but still scott@cs.hw.ac.uk for a while...
(Now at University of Edinburgh: s.telford@ed.ac.uk)