Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Thanks Jenn

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1991 15:40:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Thanks Jenn
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Jenn 'n Vickie write:

>Vickie sez:
>  Thanks for the extra verse in "The Handsome Cabin Boy" which clears up
>  a lot of things. I'd never heard it before. As I was saying the words
>  to myself, I could just hear Kate's voice singing it. I wonder why she
>  left it out?

>Any claimees wish to step forward?

You may never find any claimees.  It's a traditional Irish folk song and
the "full" version floating around the archives (and that've been posted
to .gaffa once or twice; I remember seeing a post of 'em a few years back)
are courtesy of IED who claims it to be the "...most complete version I have
been able to trace."  I imagine one could find virtually the same song
in many irish folk music compendiums.

>As to why she left these verses out, I suppose it may just have been
>because of the song's length.

Actually, it was probably to change the overall tone of the song.  The original
song, taken as a whole, is rather bawdy/funny.  With a "typical" Irish folk
arrangement, it'd be a great drinking song.  The song KaTe recorded is very
dark, serious.  It would have been difficult to maintain the mood she
evidently wanted while retaining all of the verses.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |