Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Thanks Jenn

From: turney@cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1991 14:14:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Thanks Jenn
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Expires: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 04:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: turney@cs.cornell.edu

Vickie sez:
  Thanks for the extra verse in "The Handsome Cabin Boy" which clears up
  a lot of things. I'd never heard it before. As I was saying the words
  to myself, I could just hear Kate's voice singing it. I wonder why she
  left it out?

You're welcome.  And I suppose this also means that you don't know the
other verse that was left out.  I include it below.  I don't know the
source of this info -- the file in my lyrics directory doesn't contain
an attribution.  Any claimees wish to step forward?  As to why she
left these verses out, I suppose it may just have been because of the
song's length.  Anyone know why/under what circumstances she recorded
this?

The missing last verse:

  Then each man took his tot of rum, and drunk success to trade
  And likewise to the cabin boy, who was neither man nor maid
  Here's hopin' the wars don't rise again, our sailors to destroy
  And here's hoping for a jolly lot more like the handsome cabin boy

Jenn
| turney@cs.cornell.edu | Dept of Computer Science | Cornell University |
| She winced at his response of such a gratuitous "Wow": it said little |
| for his seizure of her meaning and even less for his lexicon.         |