Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suspended in Gaffa

From: ed@wente.llnl.gov (Ed Suranyi)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1991 13:11:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Suspended in Gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.llnl.gov

In article <1991Oct1.160115.6915@macc.wisc.edu> oconnell@vms.macc.wisc.EDU (Kevin Patrick O'Connell) writes:
>Jeez--a rec.group named for the word that puzzles me most about the
>one KB disc I own!!  OK, so what IS Gaffa?

There is some controversy about this in rec.music.gaffa.  HOWEVER --
the most common explanation, and the one that I think Kate gave herself
(not that that necessarily means it's the whole story :-)) is that
gaffa is gaffers' tape.  Gaffers are electricians in the entertainment
industry, and electrical tape is supposedly called gaffers' tape
sometimes.  To be "suspended in gaffa" means that you're tied up
with electricians' tape, unable to move.  Anyone with other
explanations (Chris? Vickie?) are encouraged to state their views.

Ed
ed@wente.llnl.gov