Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wedding music

From: Al Crawford <awrc@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1991 04:25:28 -0700
Subject: Re: Wedding music
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

In article <19958@scorn.sco.COM> Dances With Voles <fscott!jondr@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>It's a cover of the Soft Cell tune, yes.  Actually, wasn't the Soft Cell
>version a cover?  Or am I confusing that with "Where Did Our Love Go" which
>was DEFINITELY a cover...  ANYWAY, the Coil version is absolutely
>incredible, and WaxTrax have reissued it lately on a CD single, so you have
>to go buy it.  You'll never be able to listen to the Soft Cell version the
>same way again.

Yep, the Soft Cell tune was a cover of an old 60s northern soul hit
for...um, someone whose name I forget. SC seem to have done a lot of covers
- not only was "Where Did Our Love Go" a cover, so was "What?". Oh, and
don't forget the utterly wonderful new Marc Almond single "Jackie" - it's a
Jacques Brel song, I think, originally a UK hit for Scott Walker.
Completely camped up as usual but his voice seems to have improved
drastically over the years.

ObKate: NONE WHATSOEVER!!!

--
			Al Crawford - awrc@dcs.ed.ac.uk
	 "Such a digital lifetime, it's been by numbers all the while"