Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: T minus 16 days and counting

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1991 16:39:22 -0700
Subject: Re: T minus 16 days and counting
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9109151746.AA20369@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> you write:

>I've been trying to remember the words to "Rocketman", and imagine
>how Kate might have done it (how long ago did she record?).

She packed my bags last night,
pre-flight.
Zero hour, 9 a.m.
And I'm gonna by high as a kite by then.

I miss the earth so much,
I miss my wife.
It's lonely out in space.
On such a timeless flight.

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no:  I'm a rocketman.
Rocketman, burning off his fuse out here alone.

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise a kid
In fact it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did.

And all the science, I don't understand.
It's just my job five days a week.
A rocketman, rocketman.

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no:  I'm a rocketman.
Rocketman, burning off his fuse out here alone...
-----------------------

This has been one of my favorite songs for at least 10 years...and there are
very few songs that I was into as a 12 year old that still count as favorites.
I think one of the reasons I've always liked it so much is the way it
captures--intentionally or not--the feel of many of Ray Bradbury's stories
concerning the 'rocketman' who did his job as if he were driving a truck or
working an assembly line..."It's just a job I do, five days a week."  It was
incredibly exciting to learn that KaTe would cover it for the Elton John
tribute album.

>You'd think it'd be like Rocket's Tail, but aint-no-way... it's more
>a simple piano-treatment kind of song, I expect.  Little Earth?

I think that for me, the song would work best in a style like "Under the Ivy,"
an intensely emotional, incredibly simple arrangement.  I can't wait to
hear it!

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |