Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TSW

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (woj)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1991 10:26:54 -0700
Subject: Re: TSW
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU sez:
>Isn't it funny how the same people who were having orgasms over TSW when it
>first came out are grumbling about it now?  Maybe it's time for a new album! :)

a combination of a number of things leads to that. for me, the initial rush
of new material to absorb was the overriding factor. but as time went on (and
on and on...) and that sheen of newness slowly peeled away, bits and pieces
of _tsw_ revealed that they weren't as good as i initially thought. sure, i
still love the album, but not with the same fervor that i did the first month
that i had it and listened to it constantly.

>I personally
>don't give a flying **** about sound quality, since all I have to listen to
>things on is a Sanyo CD box that doesn't even have an equalizer.  But when it
>comes to her voice, it blew me away the first time, and still does!

same here - my concerns with sound quality primarily revolve around "is it
listenable or not?" my answer to that is "yes", which is good enough for me.
still, it's not the best of recordings (as others have pointed out repeatedly)
and that can be a big factor those with more discerning ears.

as to whether or not tsw has her best vocalizing, i'm still not sure. i'll
give that it's much better and more controlled and much more listenable than
the KaTe of tki, but the lilting of "the night of the swallow" and the delicate
tenderness of "the morning fog" and the eerieness of "hello earth" hold me
back from from saying that it's her "best".
--
woj@remus.rutgers.edu - smou/dj-for-hire - hooked on phonics and sonics...