Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Whistle Test + Goodies

From: A Rae <asr@castle.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1991 13:44:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Whistle Test + Goodies
To: rec-music-gaffa@ukc.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Source-Info: From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

nbc@inf.rl.ac.UK writes:

>Hey, guys (and girls) lay off the Whistle Test! The show was the only
>UK TV show to feature any half-decent music. As for the presenters -
>Mark Ellen, David Hepworth and the legendary Andy Kershaw - well they
>tried to create a relaxed humorous feel to the show rather than the
>typical straight-laced BBC production.

Andy Kershaw is quite a good presenter, really. There was a
documentary on BBC2 over here a couple of months back with Andy and
Billy Bragg (wierd mix - I know!) travelling through South America,
which was actually very entertaining - I watched it by mistake.
He's currently doing a series called 'As It Happens', which is a show
where the main point is that it's live from wierd places, like
Yugoslavia or a little town in Texas... the show carries itself on very
informal chats with people... actually it sounds bloody awful,
why do I watch it???

>>From:	A Rae <asr@castle.ed.ac.uk>
>>
>>Nothing to do with a Goodies sketch involving Wuthering Hieghts by
>>semaphore at all. :-)

>Was this really the Goodies - in my failing memory I always remembered
>this as a Monty Python sketch?

I dunno, that was before my time (!) Hah! Young and innocent, that's me.
--
Angus G Rae ("Cathy" VoiceMail) | JANET: asr@uk.ac.ed.castle
c/o Archie Howitt, Room 1508,   |  ARPA: asr@castle.ed.ac.uk