Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1991 18:14:09 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@nac.no

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme)
Subject: Re: What is it with this group?!?
Sender: kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1991 01:14:05 GMT

In article <1991Sep2.014152.19474@news.iastate.edu> tabn3@isuvax.iastate.EDU writes:
> You know, if I would have mentioned U2 being alternative anytime before
> _The Joshua Tree_ was released, I don't think anyone would have given it a
> second thought.  They may not be as alternative as other groups, but they
> definitely are not just hard rock.  There just aren't any hard rock groups
> that can write and perform songs as well as U2 does.  I don't understand
> why, but too many people think that if an alternative band suddenly becomes
> popular, they're suddenly not alternative any more.  Popularity does
> not mean that a band's style has to change; it just means there are more
> people who are appreciating it.  For example, if Kate Bush suddenly had a Top
> 10 single in the US and become very popular, would you no longer consider
> her to be alternative?  Think about it...

Indeed. Here in Norway, Kate Bush and Dead Can Dance (yes, really!) is
categorized as "pop/rock" in the shops, while Enya is "new age". I
guess this only demonstrates: Don't look at the categories...
Why should you, anyway?

Kjetil T.

PS. I couldn't find the KT-logo on my TSD CD - is it on the albums
only? (I'll check the others when I get home 8)