Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What is it with this group?!?

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1991 12:29:38 -0700
Subject: Re: What is it with this group?!?
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Oh dear.  I seem to have deleted his name, but someone writes:

>   Ok, when I was looking through the listing of news server groups trying
>to find some new groups to subscribe to, I suddenly came across "rec.music.
>ive music" (and I stress the "other alternative music" part), I thought,
>"Excellent! Finally a group to discuss alternative music groups with!"
>   However, when I finally started going through some of the postings, I
>have to say I was quite disappointed.  When the description mentioned Kate
>Bush, I thought she just used as an example and not as the sole basis of
>the entire group! Why hasn't anyone been discussing any other much better
>artists?!? I think this talk Of Kate Bush has long since gone beyond
>obsession and is also long since overdone! Let's start talking about some
>artists!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

This is a Kate Bush newsgroup.  It was created as one, and always will be
one.  Quite a few times there's been talk of having the group's description
changed, but apparently nothing's been done.

Pretty much what it boils down to is that Love-Hounds, a Kate Bush fan
club/newsletter sort of thing managed to get into the rec.music hierarchy
a long time ago--I don't know that it would ever manage to get through
a CFD and vote for addition into usenet; it's a far more likely alt
type of group.  However, back in '85, or whenever it was, the group *was*
able to be created.  And here we are.

Other artists *are* discussed here, but it is largely women's space.
The artists discussed are usually those that would appeal to Kate Bush fans,
and include obscure artists from all over the place, most of which have
female vocalists, songwriters, or whatever.  I've been introduced to many
great artists from reading this newsgroup.

Another thing to remember is that the Kate Bush mailing-list, Love-Hounds,
is gatewayed to rec.music.gaffa.

>   For example, what's everyone's impressions of the new Siouxsie and the
>Banshees tape "Superstition"?  I thought it was very good, but it seemed
>to have a bit of a pop beat to it.

Um, didn't most of _Peep Show_ have a pop beat to it?

I like the new single, but it's all I've heard from the album.  A friend of
mine tells me I'd really like the entire thing, though, so I hope to hear
it sometime soon.

>Also, has anyone heard ANYTHING about the new U2 album coming out soon?

What's alternative about U2?  There's more likely to be discussion of the
new album (and I've seen a few mentions of _Achtung, Baby_) in alt.rock-n-roll.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |