Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: from Little Light

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@eddie (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1991 23:14:00 -0700
Subject: Re: from Little Light
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Chris here,

Larry Spence asks about Little Light's plan for world conquest:

> It is widely rumored that promoting releases to radio stations, which
> can be _expensive_ and perhaps not entirely legal, plays a big part, too.
> The costs for this come directly out of the artist's pocket (or advance).
> Kate may see this situation as unethical (purely speculation on my part).

   Well, _somebody_ has to feed the squid.

  If past supposition about Kate's contract situation is correct, she
doesn't get an advance. So unless she is willing to supply payola herself...

> As long as Kate's financially successful enough to record albums and
> do whatever else she wishes, why is "success in the US" important?
> Especially if it would likely require a lot of commercial entanglement
> that she might not be too thrilled about?  I'd prefer that she not make
> any deliberate moves to create a "public persona," i.e., 70-date tours,
> Letterman, etc.
  ^^^^^^^^^
  Kate _was_ scheduled to appear on Letterman in 1984, on the last night
she was in New York. She begged off, our guess is that she watched the show.
Around that time Letterman was at his most misogynistic. It would not have
been a pleasant experience. It is interesting to note that the day before,
she appeared on NBC's "Live At Five" which, as every _Late Night_ viewer
knows is broadcast fron the studio across the hall. One wonders if they met?

                                Chris Williams of
                                    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il.us