Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Putting (on) the Vaseline"

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1991 19:13:00 -0700
Subject: "Putting (on) the Vaseline"
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

   Is anybody 100% absolutely sure that the line "putting on the
vaseline" in "WOW" refers to gay sexual relations? Did KaTe say so?
Where I come from, and when I worked in college theatres, specifically
when doing stage make-up, putting on vaseline (or albolene) referred to
the extremely tedious and messy chore of using such greasy, nasty products
to remove the incredibly thick make-up used on stage, as vaseline and
albolene were about all that would cut through it! (Ordinary cold creams
generally did not work.)

  By the way- the line is "He's too busy hitting the Vaseline", and since
she IS talking about an actor doing his part ("You know it's not for real",
etc.) maybe she is referring to the practice of some stage players who
do rush to remove their make-up as quickly as possible. I, for one, can
tell you from experience that cream and pancake makeup that's been melting
on your face under extremely intense stage lights feels absolutely GROSS,
and I was always glad to remove it as quickly as I could.....

   "Hey man, time to hit the goop...."

   (inotherwords, time to get this shit off my face!)

                 judi