Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Lynch Mob

From: rlm@ms_aspen.hac.com (Robert L. McMillin)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1991 09:44:21 -0700
Subject: The Lynch Mob
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Ken Saintjohn comments on your back (eeeyuck!):

>  Boy am I gald to see everyone is back! I don't think I could handel
> the cancellation/loss of both "TWIN PEAKS" and r.m.g. both in the same
> year!

FYI, Warners has scheduled a video release of "Twin Peaks" on LaserDisc and
videotape in mid-October (Oct. 11, I believe).  This is to include a DIFFERENT
ending to the "Who Killed Laura?" bit than aired on ABC.  Lynch is also in
production for a feature length movie of same, minus two original characters:
Tawdry Audrey (Sherilyn Fenn (sp?) wasn't available), and one other (whose
name escapes me at the moment -- can you tell I got sick of the whole thing
after they FINALLY told us Laura's father dunnit?).

Jorn Barger analyzes Kate's "The Sensual World" album:

> Now I've had serious problems with The Sensual World right from the first
> day, worried that it sounded uncertain, that Kate might be losing her
> inspiration.  But reading through Cloudbusting I see that she's been
> dancing on that razor's edge all along, wanting to keep growing, never
> knowing where the next song is going to come from.

Aside from being a little trite, this sounds too much like you're implying
a personal relationship with Kate that isn't there, unless you've a
secret...

> And I begin to see all her comments about TSW as a _feminine_ album as
> really meaning that Kate is shedding her girlishness and becoming a woman,
> and that she's now having to find a musical voice for this new soul within
> her.
> Cloudbusting (and of course the Cathy demos!) show Cathy achieving
> extraordinary maturity at 14... why though, on this accelerated schedule,
> should not she enter into middle age by 33?  BUT MIDDLE AGE IS NOT A
> DECLINE, NOT A DIMINUTION OF POWERS!  She is modelling for us our own,
> baby-boomer middle-ages, which we must welcome, embrace gracefully.
> (Incredible String Band, "Cousin Catepillar": "My cousin has great changes
> coming, one day he'll wake with wings...")

Surprise -- people age and mature.  I thought there was a reason why I liked
TSW more than any of Kate's other albums.