Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kashka from San Francisco? + stuff

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1991 21:01:55 -0800
Subject: Re: Kashka from San Francisco? + stuff
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Someone from CompuServe (what'dya expect?) asks:

>Huh?  I always thought that it was just about two lovers (a man, and a
>woman) who had an affair!  "...Lives in sin..." could mean out of
                                                 ^^^^^
(yes, this is *possible*)

>wed-lock.  "...With another man." implies she (Kashka) is already
>married, and is having an affair in a small town out of the way, with
>another man.

Now you're really stretching.  If "she's" really just having an affair in
a small, out of the way town, why is she _living_ with "her" lover?

>As a matter of fact, the idea of Kashka being a man had
>never occured to me until I saw it posted on here!  Did KaTe actually
>say Kashka was a man?

Perhaps she didn't think she needed to.  The only quote I've ever seen from
KaTe wrt the song doesn't say *anything* about the sex of either character;
she uses gender neutral terms (person, people, etc) (this was in the
semi-recently posted Personal Call interview posted by um...vickie, I think)
(if it was Ron, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to slight you!)

Why is it so hard to comprehend that this is a valid (and, IMNSO opinion,
the only possible correct) reading of the lyrics?  It isn't as if KaTe
hasn't done other "gay" songs...don't forget "Moving" (for Lindsay Kemp)
and "Eddie the Queen" (from the Cathy Demos).

For me, at least, the song would be wholly uninteresting if it was about
a straight couple; it makes everything commonplace, boring.  KaTe's lyrics
are never commonplace.

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |
|jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu          |  They know the way to be happy" --KaTe |