Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

from Little Light

From: Jeff Tucker <R3JMT%AKRONVM@vm1.cc.UAKRON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1991 10:33:49 -0800
Subject: from Little Light
To: LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

  The following appears in Little Light, Summer 1991,
published by The American Association of Them Heavy
People, PO Box 221, Cuyahoga Falls OH 44222-0221.
  Replies are welcome, as are letters to the editor
or other discussion.

GRINDING ON
The latest issue of Homeground features three items of potential interest
to Little Light readers who have been keeping up on the PMRC/Sinful
Music/LL's Humorless controversy.
     A full page letter from Len Bullard and Beverly Allen offers what
might be called a more reasonable approach than either Homeground or Little
Light have taken in the past, even though the letter has less to do with
the controversy per se than with broad editorial advice: "The PMRC is not
our biggest concern.... Taking time to promote Kate is something we do
because her work merits it. She is the best, and she deserves our
best.... Our respect for Kate runs deep because she busts her ass to do all
the good she can with the talents she has and never once jumped at the easy
money just because there was a lot of it. Such a spirit is rare on this
earth. If you are going to represent it, respect it.... We don't mean to
fuss at you.  You work long hours to help a very special woman.... But
before you kick the colonies too hard, remember that you get to enjoy the
personal support of that woman.... The Americans aren't stupid or
cowardly, just tired and neglected.... Maybe if she tours she'll remember
to send a little light our way...."
     A second letter from Gillian Gaar of Seattle reads in part: "I've been
 following the occasional mention you make of censorship in the US with
 interest. I didn't pick up on the PMRC parody, but I don't think the issue
 is very funny...." So we weren't as isolated as some people would have had
 us believe, and Homeground's American readers (including us) didn't
 necessarily know "quite well" what the PMRC's policies were. A welcome
 recognition of other viewpoints.
     Third, they do finally talk about the BBCs ban (so to speak) of "Army
 Dreamers". Some of our newer readers have asked us for a retraction of our
 comments in the last issue. We would remind everybody of John Malene's
 letter to Homeground dated November 12, 1990, in which he enclosed a copy
 of the BBC memo in question in the form it took on that date. It took
 Homeground six months, two issues, and a war and a peace to get around to
 covering the news. We won't retract, but will leave you with what is
 perhaps a more reasonable attitude which Edward Suranyi proposed. Perhaps
 they didn't think there was going to be a war. Or perhaps they just lost
 it (this has seemingly happened in the past).
     Ok, we're grinning a bit