Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Dancing with Dances with Voles

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1991 21:26:00 -0800
Subject: Dancing with Dances with Voles
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

	Thanks to Jon Drukman for correcting MY incorrect version, attempting
to correct Ed Suranyi's version, of what he did on the spot as against what he
brought with him on tape for They Might Be Midgets at Katemas in San Jose:

>>       Actually, this was more amazing still.  Jon said that he HAD made
>>a drum track tape for HoL, but had accidentally erased it.  Everybody was
>>hungry for the song, though.  So, in what was for me a particularly
>>convincing display of heads-up command of his tools and real musicianship,
>>he cobbled up a serviceable program on the spot in about 37 seconds.

>Erm... much as I appreciate the kind words, I really ought to set the record
>(no pun intended) straight on this point.  I think the confusion arose
>because I was tapping out the rhythm to Running Up That Hill using my drum
>pads and that led some people (Ed?) to think I had programmed it.   I *did*
>already have Hounds Of Love pre-programmed, but if forced, I probably could
>have re-created it in around 37 seconds.  It's only a two-bar riff.  The real
>challenge is not the programming, but rather getting the proper amount of
>wet/dry mix on the gated reverb.  You want the sounds to have the huge
>WHACK, but not lose the attack of the original strike.

	It appears that the drum track he had made and said he erased (my one
clear and distinct memory) was for RUTH, not HoL.  A further comment I made
seems to have been somewhat elusive:

>>    Let the record show, by the way, that the craft and splendor of Jon-as-
>>Kate-as-Madonna's performance of "Wuthering Heights" was not lost upon
>>elements of the crowd.  If IED has betimes been the love-hounds' numinous
>>curmudgeon (Jorn Barger), Jon Drukman is its slamdancer.  He's a prodigy and
>>a sweet lad.  Believe it.  Just don't bank on it.  Mr. Drukman can nail it
>>down solid, and blow you away if you dance the fool.

>Gawd, you're making me blush...  but what's this "Believe it, just don't
>bank on it" stuff?  I don't get the reference.

	Ah, well.  The subsequent sentence states the lesson.  "Believe it"
that JD is a sweet lad; but "don't bank on it" to protect you from a bashing
if you "dance the fool"--i.e. try to float some ill-considered, erroneous, or
otherwise dismal observation past this newsgroup.  What is a "dismal"
observation, you ask?  Post something.  If it's dismal, you'll find out.

	Same as going out to polka on a floorful of slamdancing katepunks with
attitude.  We only have one (or two--long time since we've heard from |>oug)
on this floor.  But he's fast, so he's everywhere.  Watch it.

                                                            Peter Manchester
"C'mon, we all sing!"                               pmanches@sbccmail.bitnet
                                               pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu