Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My own private KaTemas

From: dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu (Doug Burks)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1991 10:52:16 -0800
Subject: My own private KaTemas
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncar.ucar.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU

Greetings,
     I noted no KaTemas celebration within a thousand miles of me, so I
celebrated on my own.  What better way than to play all of her albums!?  Of
course, given work and other commitments, that took me several days.  The
marathon only underscored my love of her music.  I never got tired of it, even
for a single note.  It also underscored that my tastes have slightly shifted
over the years.  My current ranking of her albums is:

     The Dreaming
     Hounds of Love
     Never For Ever
     Lionheart
     The Sensual World
     The Kick Inside

Admittedly, this differs from the usual list, but count it as one man's
opinion.  Yet being the last album on a list of KaTe's albums is no shame!
_Lionheart_ and _Never For Ever_ recorded strong gains in my appreciation.
     However, the biggest leap was by _The Dreaming_.  It used to hang a
notable notch below _Hounds of Love_, but on this listen a number of the songs
on _The Dreaming_ must have clicked on me.  _Sat in Your Lap_ is breaking into
my list of all-time favorite songs.  I have always enjoyed _Suspended in
Gaffa_, _The Dreaming_, and _Get Out of My House_.  This time, a number of
songs which never did much for me finally clicked, _There Goes a Tenner_, _Pull
Out the Pin_, and _Night of the Swallow_.  The rest of the songs on the album
range from fine to good.  In short, I can't find a weak spot on this album
anymore, ten quality to fantastic songs.
     Along the way, the meanings in a number of KaTe's songs crystalized, but
none on the order of relevations from God (aka, KaTe).  Yet I couldn't help but
laughing a bit, when the meaning of the phrase "though pigs can fly" from
_Night of the Swallow_ finally dawned on me.  KaTe's use of such a crude dated
Americanism (or is it also a Britishism?) seems out of place in the midst of
the fantastic (in its literal sense) image of swallows and her turning into
one.  "But you're not a swallow!"  Yeah, but pigs _can_ fly.  The double
entendre is just another wonderful example of KaTe's playfulness.
     By the way, I noted that KaTemas is also the birthday of Pat Schroeder,
a local (not mine, but Denver's) congresswoman of some note!
     Now to get out my H*ppy Rh*des albums to celebrate H*ppy-mas!  (Don't
want to trip anyone's kill file :-)).

--
Doug Burks                                     _O_
dbx@olympic.atmos.colostate.edu                 |<       She really is!!