Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Desert Island Discs

From: ebh@mink.att.com (Edward B Horch)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1991 11:07:23 -0800
Subject: Re: Desert Island Discs
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

OK I'll bite.  Besides, I haven't posted here in a couple of years...
I'm picking these on the basis of how much I want to listen to them,
as well as how much I'll want to listen to them in the long-term future.
I'm passing up a lot of Good Music, but if I can only pick 1/2 of 1%
of my collection, I can't get bogged down by academics.

In alphabetical order:

ART OF NOISE: Daft - Can't pass this up.  It has good versions of Beat
Box and Close To The Edit.  Too bad it doesn't have Peter Gunn on it.

BEETHOVEN: Pastorale Symphony (No. 6) - In particular, the version on
the CBS "Great Performances" series, conducted by Bruno Walter, 1958.
My grandfather introduced me to music with the original recording, and
it is still considered to be one of the best performances of the 6th
ever recorded.  If I had to pick one rather than ten, this would be it.

KATE BUSH: Hounds of Love - While it can be argued that The Dreaming is
a better album, I find myself wanting to listen to this one more often.
Now, if the box set counted as one album, I'd bring it, of course.

DEPECHE MODE: Music for the Masses - The CD has enough extra on it to
just squeak by Violator for the one album I'd pick.  Too bad they don't
have a compilation that includes their latest work (what about the alleged
Japanese box set(s) of B-sides?).

FLIM & THE BB'S: Big Notes - The same applies to this album: Tunnel might
be Better Music, but this album never fails to lift my spirits.  Were I
stranded on a desert island, I'd probably need that.

FRONT 242: Never Stop CD EP - The extended mix of Never Stop is my
favorite F242 tune of all time, and the CD also includes the 12"
versions of Headhunter and Paradise.

NEW ORDER: Substance - This covers a wide enough range that I would
prefer it over any individual album.

SINEAD O'CONNOR: The Lion and the Cobra - Another one I listen to
often enough that I'd really miss it if I didn't have it.

PINK FLOYD: The Wall - Not their best album, but it covers almost their
entire range, as well as working as a unit.  A staple.

THE SPECIALS: The Specials - I might opt for that compilation that has
tunes from them, The Selecter (who were GREAT at the Marquee last Friday
- see them if you can), the English Beat, etc.

If we were talking about LPs instead of CDs, I'd probably swap one out
for an original King James Version (Harry James' Big Band, on Sheffield).
The CD just makes me wish for the LP, though.

-Ed