Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Desert Island Discs

From: jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.com (jeff abbott (TB02))
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1991 07:22:21 -0800
Subject: Desert Island Discs
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Cc: address found on hayes.ims.alaska.edu:Cc: %tb02@hub.dsg.ti.com ^-extraneous tokens in address, missing end of address

It's been interesting reading the DIDs Love-Hounds would take with them
to exile. I thought narrowing my choices down to ten would be easy,
but it's not. . . .

1. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
2. Kate Bush - The Dreaming
3. Kate Bush - The Sensual World

4. Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
	(Miles' interpretation of Spanish classical and folk music.
	 Just melts in your ear. Makes you want to go fight a Moor,
	 conduct an Inquisition, and get your tickets to the Barcelona
	 games :-) ).

5. REM - Murmur
	(I hear this and I'm back in college, singing along with the
	often-undecipherable lyrics. Their first and their best album).

6. Basia - London Warsaw New York
	(Fun, danceable blend of pop and jazz. A voice that's like a
	tall cool drink, needed on a desert island).

7. Orff - Carmina Burana
	(Powerful choral music; the Fortuna movement is best known as
	 the music from _The Omen_. The rest of the movements are poems
	 taken from Dark Ages Bavarian monks--love poems, drinking poems,
	 and reflections on the fickle nature of fate. The Cleveland
	 Symphony's CD with Michael Tilson is a good recording).

8. Paul Simon - Graceland
	(Much as been said about the African influence of this album,
	 but my favorite track is "That Was Your Mother", with Rockin'
	 Dopsie and his fellow Cajuns. Just great stuff.)

9. Crowded House - Crowded House
	(Smart, fun pop. If gin and tonics are served on my desert island,
	 this is the CD to drink them by).

10. Handel - Water Music
	(Probably a strange choice for a place surrounded by water.
	 La Chambre du Roi's recording, conducted by Malgoire, is a good
	 choice.)

Others that came close:

Chris Isaak - Chris Isaak
City of Birmingham Orch (Rattle) - Henry V Soundtrack
Kiri Te Kanawa - Verdi and Puccini Arias (I could watch for ships coming
	to rescue me while listening to Madame Butterfly's aria, where
	she sees ships)
Peter Gabriel - So
Everything But The Girl - The Language of Life
Joshua Bell (violinist) w/the Montreal Symphony - Lalo: Symphonie Espagnole/
	Saint-Saens: Violin Concerto
Police - Synchronicity

Jeff Abbott
--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com

"Can I have it all now?" - Kate Bush, 1982